Securing a legacy
By any definition, the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games showed our city at its best, and every London borough council had a part to play in that success.
Councils across the country played a key role in engaging people with the Games and organising the torch relay. In London, whilst the Games kept the nation enthralled, our councils were also ensuring that the city kept running smoothly.
For London boroughs, making sure that local services could operate effectively in Games time was a top priority, as well as each doing our bit to showcase London to the world, as a city of which we can all be proud. Much of that took years of planning, and for many of us, our legacy plans have also been years in the making.
Legacy will mean something different to each borough – for some it’s about jobs and infrastructure, for others the legacy will be about sports or culture. But whatever our local ambitions, it is vital that we don’t lose the momentum of this extraordinary summer.
This year’s London Councils Summit will bring together councillors from all London boroughs for the first time since the Games, to share what we have learned this year. It’s an opportunity to focus on how we can deliver that legacy for London, to reflect on the enormous opportunities and undeniable challenges facing the city, and to do so in the knowledge of what has been achieved this year in the capital.
London Councils Summit 2012
Saturday 17 November 2012, Guildhall, Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7HH
Supported by City of London Corporation
Chair: Hackney LBC Mayor Jules Pipe
Keynote speaker: Boris Johnson, Mayor of London
- What does London’s housing need?
- Breaking the cycle: intervening in troubled families
- The future relationship between local authorities and schools
- What’s in store for adult social care?
- What is your council’s role in creating thriving town centres and high streets?
- Mind the funding gap
Micro-surgery advice sessions
- Dogs and your community surgery with Battersea Dogs & Cats Home
- Waste and recycling - collection regimes and influencing uptake surgery with Amey
- Raising your profile using social media with London Councils
- The real story about the Freedom Pass with London Councils
Tweet - #lcsummit
- Please note that the summit is free only to public sector organisations operating within the London boroughs
We hope you enjoyed the above article, to get unlimited access to all articles on LGCplus.com you will need to have a paid subscription. Subscribe now to save yourself £100 off the standard subscription rate.