Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

CAMDEN LBC PAYS TENANT£175,000 AFTER GAS LEAK

  • Comment
Camden LBC has paid compensation£175,000 in an out of court settlement to a man who suffered brain damage as a res...
Camden LBC has paid compensation£175,000 in an out of court settlement to a man who suffered brain damage as a result of leaking carbon-monoxide from the gas fire in his local authority flat, reports The Guardian (p5).

The council will also pay the estimated£120,000 legal costs for Allahn McRea who had been a Camden tenant since 1979.

He sued the council, alleging that the fire had never been serviced and there were defects in the sealing, chimney pots and flue. Doctors said he had moderate brain damage as a result of exposure to toxic fumes, the paper reports.

A statement from the council said: 'Camden is happy to compensate Mr McRae for the distress he has suffered. We are now in a new era of gas safety.'
  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.