During September CORGI is running a carbon monoxide (CO) awareness campaign which aims to raise public awareness about this silent but deadly gas. Over 200,000 gas safety leaflets and 5,000 posters will be distributed throughout the country.
Many local authorities provide housing and must meet strict legal obligations regarding gas safety. By law landlords must have gas appliances they own in properties they let checked for safety, by a CORGI registered installer, once every twelve months. These checks are an important safeguard against carbon monoxide poisoning.
'Every year around 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning,' said CORGI's public relations manager Nicole Perry. 'To prevent these tragedies it is important that the public is made aware of the telltale signs to look out for. Just one death from CO poisoning is one death too many.'