Thousands of asylum seekers from the European Union accession states were sent eviction orders in early April becau...
Thousands of asylum seekers from the European Union accession states were sent eviction orders in early April because the Home Office assumed they could safely return home.
But, reports The Sunday Times(p7), in an apparent 'U-turn' by the Home Office, new orders were sent to council chief executives on Friday evening, just hours before the orders came into force, asking them to assess if any evictions would infringe the Human Rights Act by making people destitute. If so, they were told to continue to pay benefit and provide shelter for up to 14 days.
Sandy Bruce-Lockhart, leader of Kent CC, said he had been forced to call on the Red Cross and other charities to be on standby to provide tents and other assistance if those affected were unable to find alternative housing.