Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

CHILDREN STRIP SEARCHED IN COUNCIL HOMES

  • Comment
Children as young as 12 are being forcibly strip searched by staff at secure council care homes in a practice conde...
Children as young as 12 are being forcibly strip searched by staff at secure council care homes in a practice condemned by charities as 'humilitiating' and 'degradingly inhumane', reported The Sunday Telegraph (p2).

About 420 boys and girls aged between 12 and 15 held in secure homes across Britain are being subjected to the searches. Most have been convicted of crimes and given custodial sentences but are too young for young offenders' institutions or prison. Others are held while they await trial.

The government accepted last week that strip searches were common at many of Britain's 31 secure homes and admitted that there were no rules governing the practice. In a parliamentary written answer, prisons minister Paul Goggins said that forcible strip searching was routine when they first arrived at homes.

He said: 'Each home operates its own policy according to security needs. Some homes do not strip any young persons, while others search all new arrivals. The methods used to perform a strip search are also decided by each centre without central guidance'.

The NSPCC said strip searches must be used as a last resort in exceptional circumstances. It believes that all secure children's homes should have guidance on the issue in the same way as young offenders' institutions and detention centres.

The minister's admission provoked strong protests. Liz Atkins, head of policy at the National Association for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, said she was horrified there were no rules and that 12-year-olds could be forced to strip by complete strangers without any safeguards.

Rudi Vis, Labour MP for Finchley and Golders Green, who asked the parliamentary question that prompted the minister's answer, said: 'I am shocked that this practice continues without any regulation. For some children this must be degradingly inhumane. We should apply the same standards throughout the criminal justice system'.

Dr Vis said that parents of children forcibly strip searched could use the Human Rights Act 2000 to stop staff from carrying out future searches and to win compensation.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.