Communication briefing - the top local government news and events in one place
TOP FOUR BRIEFINGS
1) Comms Review
The Audit Commission is reviewing the value of council communications. It will assess all aspects of communications, including press offices, publications, websites and spending on advertising jobs.
The Local Government Association has appointed a new head of media and campaigns. Iain Wilton joins from lobbying firm Quintus Public Affairs, where he was associate director. He was previously head of communications and public affairs at Marylebone Cricket Club and has written a biography of cricket and football legend C.B. Fry. Mr Williams joins the LGA on a 12-month contract.
3) Waltham Forest Complaint
Opposition Waltham Forest LBC councillors have complained, following the appointment of the former head of London Labour Party’s press office as head of media and external relations. Joe Derrett was also previously the mayor of London’s deputy chief press officer (reports PR Week).
4) PR Award for Camden
Camden LBC’s communication team has won the Chartered Institute of Public Relations’ award for Outstanding In-House Public Relations Team. (reports CIPR).
- Basildon Council to send out text reminders to put your bins out (reports Basildon Recorder).
- Lights, camera, consultation! (reports East Sussex County Council).
- New ranking system and updated assessment criteria announced for Better connected, Socitm Insight’s annual survey of the quality of council websites (reports SOCITM)
- Camden tourist guide to give boost to visitor economy (reports Camden Council)
- Free advertising for local businesses (reports North Tyneside Council)
- Council staff get connected (reports IDeA)
‘Public Sector Brand Management 2009’, LGC conference, 8 December, London.
Chartered Institute of Public Relations Local Public Services’ annual conference, 14-16 October, Edinburgh.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like a trial subscription to the new-look LGC, please go tohttp://freetrial.lgcplus.com