A coroner who ruled that the deaths of seven children in a council house were accidental is to write to Wrexham Mae...
A coroner who ruled that the deaths of seven children in a council house were accidental is to write to Wrexham Maelor BC urging it to speed up its programme of replacing windows in 33 similar houses.
The Guardian (Nov 25, p4) reported that South Clwyd coroner John Hughes heard that a naked flame was probably held to a foam-filled rocking chair, causing a blaze in the four bedroomed house. The children were trapped in bedrooms. The mother and her husband managed to escape.
Mr Hughes was impressed by the council's policy of changing battery-operated smoke alarms to mains-wired alarms. Excuses like alarms going off when people were cooking and children taking out batteries to put them in toys were 'feeble' set against the life of a child.