Neath Port Talbot Council is continuing a close monitoring exercise at the pumping station where two workmen died l...
Neath Port Talbot Council is continuing a close monitoring exercise at the pumping station where two workmen died last week.
Experts called in by Welsh Water have drained the chamber of its contents and say the potential danger is now 'negligible', The Western Mail reports (7).
After last week's fatal incident in the 30-foot deep chamber, a further 96 people including rescuers were treated in hospital for the symptoms of poisoning resulting, it is now believed, from a deadly mixture of CFC chemicals Freon-11 and Methyl Styrene.
A task force headed by South Wales Police has been set up to track down the source of the illegally dumped substances, and daily precautionary tests are being carried out on council and other staff who are now involved in detective work in an around the pumping station.