Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Croydon to focus on front-line services

  • Comment

Croydon LBC is to restructure its staffing expenditure to focus more on front-line services after taking part in a major national efficiency programme.    

A “diagnostic review” of the council’s corporate and transactional services revealed 60% of its staffing expenditure was on support services, leaving just 40% for the front line – a ratio the council now wants to reverse.

Deputy chief executive Nathan Elvery, who has presented the findings to his management board, said: “It has given us a whole new basis on which to make informed judgements.

“Local government is about service delivery so we do not want the majority of our resources to be in the back office. Our ambition is to address this over the next three years.”

The council is one of six in the first tranche of the Delivering Efficient Corporate & Transactional Services programme run by Local Partnerships, the successor organisation to 4ps.

Manchester City Council, another pilot authority, is seeking to save £100m over the next 10 years through the programme.

Local Partnerships has instructed PricewaterhouseCoopers to carry out reviews across 32 back office and transactional services, which include human resources, asset management and council tax benefits.

Four other councils – Derby City Council, Haringey LBC, Hertfordshire CC and Wigan MBC – are at varying stages of the process.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.