Campaigners have won a battle to stop one of the biggest incinerators in the world from being built in London, thro...
Campaigners have won a battle to stop one of the biggest incinerators in the world from being built in London, throwing into doubt plans for more plants across Britain, reported The Independent on Sunday (p10).
The government is set to announce this week that it has refused planning permission for an expansion of an existing incineration plant at Edmonton, north London. There must be question marks over other plants subject to planning applications at Belvedere, south London, Guildford, Goole, Wrexham and Sheffield. The government has ruled out a moratorium on incinerators, but Tony Blair said last year the priority was to cut waste. Incineration was a less attractive option.
Labour deputy mayor of London Nicky Gavron hoped the decision would kill off the plan for the Belvedere plant. She said expansion at Edmonton would go against policies for recycling, clean air and traffic reduction.