Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more


  • Comment
Vale of Glamorgan Council chief executive David Foster has been dismissed without notice after being found guilty o...
Vale of Glamorgan Council chief executive David Foster has been dismissed without notice after being found guilty of 36 counts of gross misconduct. Mr Foster was dismissed after a one-and-a-half hour members' meeting. It was held in response to an independent inquiry by Michael Farmer QC into 59 allegations of gross misconduct.

Mr Farmer advised council members to dismiss Mr Foster without notice after a series of critical reports from the district auditor last year. An all-party panel set up by leader Jeffrey James ruled Mr Foster should answer the allegations, and the QC was then appointed by the Welsh Assembly.

Mr Foster had been chief executive for five years. He had been suspended for the past 10 months.

'The independent report was not made public but it is understood the allegations include a trip to Geneva by Mr Foster and another councillor, the appointment of two communications companies and hospitality from a potential developer,' a spokesman said.

He confirmed action is ongoing against a projects officer in the chief executive's department as a result of the investigation into Mr Foster.

The 59 charges reflected the concerns of the auditor over credit cards and hospitality and are also understood to cover the development of Dyffryn House, a National Lottery heritage fund application for Dyffryn Gardens and other capital expenditure.

Mr Foster was accused of 'serious misjudgment' for accompanying a councillor to Switzerland for the draw of a football match involving Barry Town, according to one council member.

The hearing was delayed at the end of March because Mr Foster was unwell.

He was unable to attend the final hearing and could not be reached for comment, but was said to be 'extremely disappointed' by the conclusions of

the report.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.