Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more


  • Comment
24 March 2000 ...
24 March 2000

Tenants in Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, will, from next week, have a greater say in how their homes are managed and repaired.

Under the Government's Large Scale Voluntary Transfer (LSVT) programme more than 6000 homes will next week transfer to Wyre Forest Community Housing, a new local housing company set up specifically totake on Wyre Forest District Council's housing stock. One third of the Company's Management Board will be made up of tenants.

Mr Raynsford said that with local housing companies now an established part of the social housing sector, tenants are already benefiting from the extra say that they now have in the management of their homes.

'This transfer will allow repair work to go ahead more quickly. Tenants will also benefit from rents pegged at the rate of inflation plus 1 per cent each year, for the next five years.'

The application from Wyre Forest District Council to transfer its stock follows a ballot in which 66 per cent of tenants voted, of whom 80 per cent supported the transfer. Wyre Forest Community Housing has agreed to pay the Council #40.95 million to acquire the stock.

Today's announcement brings the number of LSVTs to 123, involving more than 400,000 homes. These transfers have raised over£6 billion in private finance, to purchase and invest in the housing stock.


Provision to set up Local Housing Companies (LHCs) appears under the Housing Act 1996. LHCs allow greater local authority and tenant participation than other Registered Social Landlords such as housing associations.

Under the Leasehold reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 a local authority proposing a transfer of more than 499 dwellings must first obtain a place on an annual programme approved by the Secretary of State. Councils must then obtain the consent of the Secretary of State under the Housing Act 1985 for each transfer after it has formally consulted its tenants.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.