Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

HOUSEBUILDING: NOVEMBER 1996 RENOVATIONS: THIRD QUARTER

  • Comment
In November 1996, it is provisionally estimated that 14,900 dwellings were started in Great Britain compared with 1...
In November 1996, it is provisionally estimated that 14,900 dwellings were started in Great Britain compared with 11,200 in November 1995.

Completions numbered 15,300 compared with 15,700 in the previous year.

In the latest three months 47,300 dwellings were started, up 29 per cent on the same three months a year ago, while completions at 46,300 were down 2 per cent.

Seasonally adjusted comparisons

In the three months September to November 1996, total starts were 15 per cent higher compared with the previous three months while total completions were up by 1 per cent. Private enterprise starts were up by 16 per cent and completions were up by 3 per cent.

Housing association starts of new dwellings in the three months September to November 1996 were higher than during the previous three months ; completions were lower.

Both starts and completions by local authorities and government departments remained at a low level.

RENOVATIONS

It is provisionally estimated that 13,100 mandatory and 9,000 discretionary house renovation grants (including 8,000 minor works assistance) were paid to private owners and tenants in England during the third quarter of 1996.

This compares with 12,400 mandatory and 8,100 discretionary grants in the second quarter and 13,200 mandatory and 8,200 discretionary grants in the third quarter of 1995.

In the third quarter of 1996 some 58,300 local authority dwellings were converted or improved, compared with 73,200 in the second quarter and 58,700 in the third quarter of 1995.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.