Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

IOW FACES FINE FOR TOILET DEATH

  • Comment
Isle of Wight Council is to be prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after a man was electrocuted in a publ...
Isle of Wight Council is to be prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after a man was electrocuted in a public toilet at Ryde in July 1995.

The HSE believes the death was caused by faulty wiring. The toilets had been refurbished and the original fittings replaced with stainless steel WCs and partitions.

The work was carried out by Medina BC. Isle of Wight Council took over responsibility for the facilities when it became a unitary authority.

The council could face a fine of up to£20,000 for contravening the Health and Safety at Work Act. The case is due to be heard before Newport magistrates on 16 May.
  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.