Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more


  • Comment
The Highland Council is harmonising licensing across the Highlands, creating one system to replace those it inherit...
The Highland Council is harmonising licensing across the Highlands, creating one system to replace those it inherited at the reorganisation of local government.

Anyone involved in licensable activities is urged to contact the council to ensure they have an appropriate licence. This will include taxi drivers from Badenoch and Strathspey and Sutherland, who were not previously required to be licensed. From 15 May, next year, the council has agreed to introduce conditions and tariffs which will apply to all taxi operators in the Highlands.

The council is not only harmonising conditions of licences throughout the Highlands, it is also extending areas of operation that require licensing. It is estimated that 500 people in the Highlands have a licence to carry out licensable activity.

Activities which require a licence are: - street trading; late hours trading; boat hiring; second hand car selling; window cleaning; taxi and private hire car operating; market operating.

A licence will also be required to sell the following second-hand goods: - antiques; electrical equipment; domestic goods; photographic equipment; sports goods; jewellery; musical instruments; computers; computer games.

Licences will also be needed for public entertainment such as: billiard, snooker and pool rooms; exhibitions; firework displays; health and fitness activities, including gyms and saunas; agricultural shows; Highland games; go-karting; bungee jumping; bouncy castles; discos and dances; musical performances; concerts; circuses; fairgrounds; travelling shows; travelling funfairs.

Civic government licensing is administered by The Highland Council's corporate services and application forms are available from council offices and service points. Licensed activities are enforced by the council's protective services. Unlicensed activities will be enforced by the police.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.