Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

MANCHESTER AIRPORT DISPUTE SETTLED OUT OF COURT

  • Comment
Nine councils have picked up almost£500,000 in back rent following the settlement of a long-running dispute with M...
Nine councils have picked up almost £500,000 in back rent following the settlement of a long-running dispute with Manchester city council over rent and lending issues concerning Manchester airport.

The airport is jointly run by the city and the nine other DCs in greater Manchester with the city holding a 55% stake and the others sharing the remaining 45%.

Manchester city argued that the nine did not have the right to participate in rent and lending to the same extent as their ownership. The argument revolved around the land for the building of terminal two and future development.

Following an unsuccessful judicial review by Manchester seeking to claim no powers for the DCs to lend, the nine started a trust action against the city in October 1991.

Negotiations have now led to an out of court settlement.

'All ten councils are agreed in respect of their airport responsibilities which is very important to secure a prosperous future for this important asset,' said a statement issued by Bolton MB.

The settlement gives an immediate payment of £500,000 each to the nine councils plus an estimated further £192,000 per year on top of any airport dividends receivable.

In return the nine will share the airport's £90.4m existing loan debt in respect of land and buildings.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.