He is George Phipson, head of West Hatch GM School in Essex and currently chairman of the Association of Heads of Grant Maintained Schools.
1. Mr Phipson will fill one of the vacancies arising due to the
2. Mr Phipson has not carried out any political activity in the last five years and does not hold any other ministerial appointments.
3. The secretary of state may appoint a board to the agency of between 10 and 15 members, including the chairman. The board currently has a full complement of 15 members.
4. The positions are unsalaried but each member is entitled to claim a per diem allowance of£155 for each day on which they transact agency business. Travel and other expenses may be claimed.
5. The FAS was established on 1 April 1994 to administer and monitor the grant payments to grant- maintained schools.
6. The FAS's current functions will end in 1999.
FUNDING AGENCY FOR SCHOOLS: MEMBERSHIP (from 1 October 1997)
Sir Anthony Tippet Retired Vice Admiral in the Royal Navy and, (Chairman) until 1995, General Manager of the Hospitals for Sick Children Health Authority. Former Chief Executive of Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Rev Dr Alan Billings Former deputy leader of Sheffield City Council and now parish priest in Kendal
Mr Rodney East Chartered Accountant by training, with a number of years experience in high street retailing, property, banking, shipping & transport
Dr Arthur Hearnden OBE* Former General Secretary, Independent Schools Joint Council
Mr Roy Jobson Chief Education Officer, Manchester City Council.
Professor David Johns Vice-Chancellor and Principal, University of Bradford.
Miss Louise Kidd Former Principal/Chief Executive Rutland College
Mrs Lesley King MBE Headteacher, St Joseph's RC GM Primary School, Aldershot
Mrs Cynthia Lake Chairman of Governors of Queenswell Infant and Junior Schools, Whetstone;Hon Secretary to the National Governors Council
Mr Robert Lloyd Headteacher, Hendon School (GM)
Prof David Newton Education and management development consultant; Governor and
Chairman of the Finance Committee of Deer Park GM School, Cirencester; former Vice-Principal of the Royal Agricultural College
Dr Francis Patterson OBE* Headteacher, St Francis Xavier's College, GM School, Liverpool Prof Arthur Pollard* Education spokesman on the East Riding of
Yorkshire Unitary Authority; former Professor of English at Hull University; member of the Church of England General Synod Board of Education.
Ms Linda Wedgbury Business Consultant
Mr Robin Wendt Former Secretary of the Association of County Councils and former Chief Executive of Cheshire County Council
NEW MEMBERS FROM 1 APRIL 1998 (to replace those*
whose appointments expire on 31 March 1998)
Mr John Chastney Accountant
Mrs Stella Earnshaw Former Head of Regional Finance Unit, Shell International
Mr George Phipson Headteacher, West Hatch GM School, Essex; Chairman of the Association of Heads of Grant Maintained Schools