he called for nominations for people who are making a significant
difference to our communities through innovative schemes that go to
creating thriving and successful communities.
The Deputy Prime Minister's Award for Sustainable Communities
recognises projects and initiatives that contribute to making towns,
cities and communities better places in which to live and work. It
will also showcase success and highlight aspects of good practice
that have been recognised throughout the assessment process.
Mr Prescott said that the Award for Sustainable Communities
underlines this department's commitment to delivering sustainable
communities and identifies best practice examples that others can
'This year I have revised the criteria to align with the seven themes
identified in the Egan Review, which go towards the creation and
maintenance of sustainable communities.
'The awards will pay tribute to those people whose commitment and
enthusiasm are making a significant difference to our communities
through innovative schemes or towards the building of thriving and
successful communities. I encourage these people who are working so
hard towards delivering sustainable communities to make an
application for this award and I look forward to meeting the nominees
and winners at the 2005 summit.'
Nominations are invited for projects and initiatives of all types and
sizes that are contributing to making towns, cities and rural
communities in England better places in which to live and work. Any
person, including those directly connected with the project or
initiative, may submit an entry.
* All projects and initiatives must demonstrate active involvement of
the community including business and/or residents.
* All projects and initiatives should be advanced to a state where
there is a record of success with demonstrable results, and should
meet some, or all, of the following criteria:
* SOCIAL AND CULTURAL - Creating vibrant, harmonious and inclusive
* GOVERNANCE - Creating effective and inclusive participation,
representation and leadership.
* ENVIRONMENTAL - Creating places for people to live in an
environmentally friendly way.
* HOUSING AND THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT - Creating a good quality built
and natural environment.
* TRANSPORT AND CONNECTIVITY - Creating good transport services and
communication linking people to jobs, schools, health and other
* ECONOMY - Creating a flourishing and diverse local economy.
* SERVICES - Creating a full range of appropriate, accessible public,
private, community and voluntary services.
An award ceremony, acknowledging the achievements of the finalists,
will be held at the Delivering Sustainable Communities Summit, which
will run from 31 January to 2 February 2005 at the GMEX/MICC and
Bridgewater Hall, Manchester.
Further information on and nomination forms for the award can be
obtained by contacting BURA.
About the ODPM Awards for Sustainable Communities:
1. Nominations for the award will be considered by a panel of
independent judges with a wide level of expertise in regeneration
matters. The whole process will be administered, on behalf of the
ODPM, by BURA, whose objective is the promotion of best practice in
2. Details of the 2003 awards can be found here.
About the Delivering Sustainable Communities Summit:
3. The Delivering Sustainable Communities Summit will be the largest
of its kind in the UK. With 2,000 delegates attending from the UK,
Europe and the wider world to take part in this unique forum. It will
set a vision for the future and create opportunities for both
developing and sharing best practice as well as provide a platform to
work with experts from the public, voluntary and private sectors.
4. The summit embraces national, regional and local influences and
offers inspiring keynote presentations, thought provoking plenaries,
workshops and expert master-classes. There will also be site visits,
fringe events, an extensive vibrant exhibition and a Gala dinner,
which will host the Deputy Prime Ministers Awards for Sustainable
5. or further information and enquiries please contact the Summit
team: firstname.lastname@example.org or log onto to