The LGA has revealed the surreal range of queries from the public which councils deal - including one resident who wanted to know the rules about keeping a crocodile in their garden.
Other bizarre calls to customer services centres include someone seeking permission to erect a tent in the central reservation of a dual carriage way and another person who wanted the council to remove all porn from the internet.
The LGA said its top 10 of weird requests showed how councils were the first port of call for residents.
Peter Fleming (Con), chair of the LGA’s improvement and innovation board, said: “These light-hearted examples show the wide range of issues council staff deal with each day. Councils literally have to be ready for anything from the serious to the mundane and sometimes even mind-boggling.”
He added: “The fact that councils are so often the first port of call for residents who are seeking a solution to their problems shows just how central a role councils play in the lives of their communities.”
Top 10 bizarre calls
1. Are there any regulations on keeping a crocodile in my back garden? From Reigate & Banstead BC
2. Can you teach me how to use a chain-saw? From Chelmsford BC
3. Do you know where I could get an old bath that I could fill with custard? From Sutton LBC
4. Can you send a pest control officer to remove a frog from the bottom of the communal stairs in my block of flats? From Crawley BC
5. Am I allowed to bury my horse in my back garden? From Warwickshire CC
6. “I’ve tried the number given on your website for the library but it doesn’t work”; “What was the number?”; “0900 1800”; “I’m sorry those are the times the library is open between.” From Surrey CC
7. How can I get permission to pitch a tent on the central reservation of the A35 trunk road? From Derby CC
8. How do you make a marinade to put on my barbecue steaks? Newark and Sherwood DC
9. A lady rang to say she couldn’t get any reception on her TV, having unsuccessfully contacted both the police and the fire brigade. From Rossendale BC
10. Can you remove all porn from the internet? From Westminster CC