Rotherham MBC’s chief executive has announced that he will step down in the aftermath of the abuse scandal that has engulfed the council.
A council statement said Mr Kimber – in office since 2009 – had agreed with deputy leader Paul Lakin (Lab) that he would step down at the end of December. Cllr Lakin is in charge following the resignation of former leader Roger Stone (Lab) after news of the scandal broke late last month.
The statement said that at a cabinet meeting last week Mr Kimber had “apologised unreservedly” for the failings over child sexual exploitation found in Professor Alexis Jay’s inquiry report.
Mr Kimber said: “The report does not make comfortable reading in its account of the horrific experiences of some young people in the past, and I would like to reiterate my sincere apology to those who were let down when they needed help.
“The events of the past fortnight will again have been an incredibly traumatic time for them and their families, and have shaken the town as a whole.”
He felt that “new leadership will enable the town to recover more quickly from the events of the last two weeks, and strongly signal a new beginning at this critical time in its recovery. The time is therefore now right for me to leave.”
Mr Kimber is due to be grilled by MPs about the scandal on Wednesday.