Terry Robinson, Countryside Agency head of planning & sustainable development said: 'The time is ripe for the planning system to play an increasing role in encouraging development that people can welcome, rather than fending off poor quality new building. This new Bill should create the means to shape a sustainable future for people and communities in the countryside.
* positive planning that challenges developers to do better
* strong involvement for communities to focus on where they want to be
in the future and how development can help make that a reality
* sustainable development at the heart of the planning system
* a new form of development plan at regional and local levels
* see LGCnetfor full details