21 March for charities to share experiences, solutions and explore the particular needs of charities delivering public services.
Following the Commission's consultation on its policy statement for charities working in this area it's clear more work needs to be done on the implications of an organisation's charitable status for their engagement in public service delivery.
The conference will be chaired by the Commission's Chairman, Geraldine Peacock, and will include presentations from Julia Unwin, Vice-Chair of the Food Standards Agency, Kevin Curley, Chief Executive of NACVS, Michael Shaw, Chief Executive of John Grooms and Lindsay Driscoll, Legal Commissioner. It will focus on questions
* reasons for engaging in public service delivery and relevance to charities' mission and values
* the relationship between public service delivery and independence; and
* the role of grant giving charities
There will also be the opportunity to discuss the issues in a legal workshop. The conference findings will also be included in new guidance for charities in this field, which will be published in the summer.
The Commission's Executive Director for Policy and Effectiveness, Rosie Chapman said,
'With the big growth in opportunities for charities to become involved in public service delivery it's vital that charities themselves help shape the future in this area. We hope this conference will put the spotlight on the practical issues faced by charities delivering public services, as well as provide invaluable input into our forthcoming guidance.'
The conference will be held in central London. Places are limited to 150 and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. To reserve your place at£20 visit www.dsc.org.uk, print off, complete and return the booking form. (Alternatively, contact customer services at DSC on 08450 77 77 07 or email email@example.com).
1. The Charity Commission is the independent regulator for charitable activity in England and Wales. See www.charitycommission.gov.uk for further information or call our contact centre on 0845 300 0218.
2. The Commission's policy statement ' Charities and public
service delivery' can be found on its website at www.charitycommission.gov.uk under 'Guidance for charities'.
3. The Charities and public service deliver conference will be held at the Connaught Rooms in Covent Garden, London on 21 March 2006, starting at 10:30 and finishing at 3:30.
4. The Directory of Social Change is working with the Commission to organise the conference.