Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Rotherham children's director resigns

  • Comment

Rotherham MBC’s strategic director for children and young people’s services has resigned.

Joyce Thacker had been under pressure since the publication last month of the Jay report on child sexual exploitation in the town. It found 1,400 children were abused between 1997 and 2013.

A council statement said she left “by mutual agreement” on Friday.

Ms Thacker had this month faced a grilling by MPs on her actions over abuse claims.

Immediately after the Jay report’s publication she had been robustly defended by chief executive Martin Kimber, who is now himself to leave his post at the end of December.

Mr Kimber said last month that Ms Thacker was “part of the solution” and that the council could not afford to lose “good people”.

Ms Thacker said at the time: “While I was deeply distressed to read about the horrific consequences of past mistakes, I was heartened that the report has recognised I have made a difference, and it strengthens my resolve to better protect the children and young people of this borough.”

 

 

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.